Thursday, March 8, 2012

How To Make the Transition from Metro to Classic Desktop Less-Jarring

This is going to be as basic an idea as you’ll find here on this site, but something had occurred to me today regarding the classic desktop in Windows 8. Often you hear people talk about the switch from the Metro Start screen to the classic desktop and how it’s so jarring to be transported between the two. While the switch between the two doesn’t necessarily bother me all too much I wanted to find a way to make the transition less jarring for people who do mind the switch, so I came up with a solution so simple that its almost too ridiculous to mention, but surprisingly, it works quite well.

What makes the transition between metro and classic desktop isn’t so much the windows or the buttons. It’s typically the dramatic change in screen color that makes my own experience so jolting, so I figured I would create a wallpaper using the exact same color scheme as my Start screens color (in this case a dark grey). To achieve this, I simply took a screenshot of my start screen desktop and paste that image into Microsoft Paint. I used the dropper tool to extract the exact color used in my color scheme and simply made a new desktop wallpaper of the same resolution using that color (basic, I know). I applied the new wallpaper to the classic desktop and tada…

transition 580x178 How To Make the Transition from Metro to Classic Desktop Less Jarring

What I found was that the transition seems a little more seamless because it just looks like the tiles are now disappearing into the center of the screen and in its place sweeps the taskbar and icons like they are just hovering over the same wallpaper as the Start screen. Maybe I’m crazy, but the trick has made the change from desktop to desktop a bit less grating than before. Give it a try and let me know what you guys think in the comments.


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

No comments:

Post a Comment